Sunday, July 8, 2007

More Dehydrating Ideas

The other day I purchased a large package of chicken breasts on sale (the only way to buy!). Previously I had roasted chicken and then dehydrated it, but it came out a little too tough, really only useable by chopping it in the food processor and then adding to a soup mix.

So I decided to try something else. I put all of the chicken breasts in my large slow cooker, dumped in a bunch of spices and cooked it on high for about 8 hours. It was falling off the bone, which made it easy to strip the meat off.

I place the meat on the trays and dehydrated for approximately 4 hours. It was crisp and flavorful, almost melt-in-your-mouth good, and not tough or rubbery at all. It is suitable to add to an entree recipe or to simply snack on as chicken jerky.

It did give me a great idea, tho. Next time, once the meat is cooked in the slow cooker, I'll strip the meat off and marinate it in BBQ sauce before putting it in the dehydrater. That will be so yummy!

No comments: