Monday, July 30, 2007

Review of FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer

Just wanted to give my review of the FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer.

I bought it brand new two months ago. Used it to seal up about 10 seal bags when it quit working. First it stopped removing the air and then the heating strip failed to close the bag.

So a couple of days ago I called the company and told them what was going on. The CSR (customer service rep) had me plug in the unit and try it. This time it didn't even come on.

So she had me remove the rubber gasket and turn it over and replace it. I did. Nothing. Then she had me take a couple of pens and push in on the buttons that are held down when the lid is closed and pressed on. Again, nothing. Then suddenly it came on! Wow! Yipee!

The CSR had me create a bag and then attempt to vacuum seal it. Created the bag, put something in and sealed it. It worked perfectly! Yeah! Yipee! Not so fast...

She hung up. I got to work sealing some food I'd dehydrated. On the sixth bag it failed to suck the air out. I tried repeatedly to get it to work. Nothing. I finally gave up.

So now I've got to call the FoodSaver company again and see what they will do. I don't think I'm going to settle for the "phone fix" this time.

The whole thing is, I read some reviews before buying the FS unit and most of them were quite negative. Evidently FS has a real problem with the reliability of their machines.

And before you ask, yes, I'm using the real FS bags. So buyer beware when you go to purchase a vacuum sealer.

No comments: