WHAT "DAY" IS IT?
Zep 1:14 The great day of the LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.
Isa 2:12 For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:
Isa 13:6 Howl ye; for the day of the LORD is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
Isa 13:9 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
Isa 13:10 For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
Isa 13:11 And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogance of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.
Take particulare note of how the Day of the Lord is described:
- will cause the mighty to cry bitterly
- will bring low the proud and lofty
- will come as destruction from the Almighty
- will be cruel
- will come with wrath and fierce anger
- will desolate the land
- will destroy sinners
- stars will not shine
- sun will be darkened
- moon will not shine (naturally since the sun is darkened)
- world will be punished for evil
- wicked punished for iniquity
- the terrible (persons) will be humbled
Next we'll see the tie between the "Day of the Lord" and phrases regarding the wrath of the Lord.